With all-year warm waters, the sea is welcoming at all months of the year. Northeastly monsoon winds are from Dec-Feb, and Southwesternly monsoon winds from Jun-Sep. Rain can be expected all year round, with higher chance of heavy rain during the Monsoon months, especially in February or August. For latest weather updates, please check the NEA website at www.nea.gov.sg or read the current issue of the Straits Times.
Tides & Currents
Tide predictions are available daily on the Straits Times.
Charts are available for purchase from MPA (www.mpa.gov.sg).
10 Safety Tips
1) Always paddle in a group if you are new to kayaking or unfamiliar with the places you planned to paddle.
2) Plan and leave a trip plan behind with someone detailing your route and contact details.
3) Always wear a PFD.
4) Always bring a handphone.
5) A bilge pump, sponge, paddle float, leash, sea sock, and internal flotation are very important if you planned to paddle out alone.
6) You can't outrun weather, so it is best to return to shore and find shelter in adverse weather.
7) Wear proper sun protective attire.
8) Have plenty of hydration before, during, and after kayaking.
9) Look our for boat traffic and cross channels only when safe; be clear about your intentions and do not stop inside the channel.
10) Get proper kayaking instructions if you do not have prior kayaking experience.
Useful Phone Numbers
MPA Safety Co-ordination Center +65 63252488
Coast Guard Hotline +65 63775539